The 1857 uprisings were a part of the war of national liberation in
· We need to link the history of our people to what is happening today
Aims and Objectives
· Commemorate the 150th anniversary of 1857 uprising from a peoples perspective
· Organise a series of events and activities around 1857 uprising
The themes that we wish to promote through these events and activities include:
· Historical significance of the 1857 uprising in
· The significance and implications of 1857 uprising to contemporary events and struggles in
· The significance and affect of the 1857 uprisings to the
o anti colonialism
o anti terror issues.
4) What were the affects of 1857 uprisings on culture, then and now, and what can we learn from them.
5) Why celebrate the 1857 events in
· It is one of the first struggles against colonialism and imperialism and it represented a focal point for the struggles that developed subsequently against colonialism and imperialism in
4) Plans and activities for the Commemoration
We agreed to produce a publication. This would be a final piece that would be launched at the public event in Sept/Oct 2007. The publication will follow our set objectives and themes
b) Films on 1857
Organise films that we can take around to events that are happening around the
Prepare an exhibition that we can take around to events that are happening around the
Launch a website which will host all materials which support our objectives and themes. It is anticipated that the website will encompass a discussion forum and allow contributions from others.
The group agreed that it will also explore cultural aspects to the 1857 uprisings. These could then be encompassed within other activities.
Final Day Event marking the 1857 in October 2007 –
This would be a multi-venue and transnational event encompassing countries from
We would like to hear from all peoples in participating or contributing to the commemoration. Contact us to help and or join the committee. Next meeting of the Committee is organised for